One of the best ways to bond as a family in these times when everyone seems so busy is to volunteer together to do something for the community. There are many community service ideas that can be done and that allow for people to be able to give back to society. What’s even more exciting is that the time volunteered and given to the community can actually be fun. Some of the ideas that a family or group of students can engage in are:
I) HELPING THE HOMELESS, CHILDREN AND THE HUNGRY – There are many ideas in which a family can be of service to those who are homeless or hungry around them.
- Making packed lunches and sandwiches which can be distributed to them.
- Adopting some children or a family that you can commit to look after and spend time with during the holidays or sponsor them through school.
- Mobilizing people to donate blankets, clothes and other supplies for the needy
- Setting up a vegetable garden the homeless can be responsible for maintaining and getting their food.
- Organizing a fundraising event for specific needs of homeless children
- Putting together a small concert to entertain the homeless with songs, dramas etc
- Collecting items for poor mothers ad making baby bags for them with thing sthey require such as diapers, formula etc
- Teaching a new game to the children.
- Collecting books form the community to set up a common library for both adults and the children.
- Assigning each elder brother and sister to be a role model and metor to the younger children in the community
II) PROJECTS FOR THE ELDERLY – these are community service ideas that are more specific at reaching out to the senior citizens in the community. Some include:
- Helping to mow their lawns, plant flowers, cut their grass and other household activities they may not have been able to do in a while.
- Having a mini-concert for them to entertain them using puppet shows, songs,plays etc
- Making decorations for their houses and rooms
- Creating time to just listen to them and their stories about life.
- Helping them put together and label their pictures
- Assisting them to write letter or make cards for their friends
III) CARING FOR THE SICK AND THE DISABLED – there are a number of activities that can be done to help this group of people feel like they belong to the community.
- Organize to have a sports event in which they can all participate.
- Try and see if it’s possible to make some wishes of the children who are sick come true
- Help make some food for families that have sick people in hospital
- Serve meals to those who are unable to leave their bedside or their homes.
IV) THE ENVIRONMENT – community service ideas can also be extended to the environment in which we live. Some of the ways we can do this include:
- Organizing to clean up and pick litter that is around the areas where we stay.
- Promoting the importance of recycling.
- Planting trees and flowers
- Starting up a compost site that can be used for manure
- Preparing a communal garden that can be used by a number of people in the neighborhood